Revocation of Special Education Services

Parents have the right to revoke their consent for special education and related services. Districts are required to comply with the parent’s request for the student’s removal from special education. Parents must provide written consent to discontinue special education and related services. Districts must provide the parents with notice detailing the changes in educational placement and services before the special education services are discontinued. 

Parents should be aware that once the student is no longer receiving special education service, the district is not required to remove references to special education in a student’s records. Parents can still request amendments to anything in the records that they believe is inaccurate or misleading.