Project SEARCH combines classroom instruction provided by Ingham Intermediate School District with a year-long unpaid internship at Michigan State University. This combination of instruction and immersion in the workplace prepares interns to meet employer expectations. Participants gain experience in a variety of settings that will align to their interests, abilities and availability.
- Classroom: Focus on employability and independent living skills. Engage in job seeking activities.
- Work Experience: Gain immersion in real-life job settings through three different host businesses offering individualized support on-site.
- Work Exploration: Review available internships and explore career interests beyond Project SEARCH with assistance from community partners.
For detailed information on Spartan Project SEARCH, including internship sites, application and hiring data, visit Spartan Project SEARCH.
The purpose of this application is to outline the skill set of a Project SEARCH intern candidate. This application enables the selection committee* to properly assess each intern candidate’s interests, skills, abilities and background. A parent, student, counselor, teacher or employer may be contacted by the selection committee to gather additional information. Our goal is to select interns who will be successful in a Project SEARCH program and reach the outcome of competitive employment.
The Selection Process includes the following guidelines:
- All applicants are encouraged to attend an Open House and visit a host business site to observe the culture, possible rotations and meet the instructor and skills trainers prior to being selected to participate in Project SEARCH.
- Please submit the completed application and supporting requested documents to the address provided within the application by Friday, February 17, 2023 (flexible deadline).
- If accepted, an Individualized Educational Program (IEP) will be developed with the IEP team for the 2023- 2024 school year.
*Please note: The selection committee may include the host site liaisons, the Project SEARCH instructors, Project SEARCH skills trainers, Project SEARCH school district liaison, Project SEARCH supervisors and representatives from Michigan Rehabilitation Services and other agency/school representatives.
For Questions, please contact Kelly Sweet-House.