Great Parents, Great Start Program
At no cost, the Great Parents, Great Start Program offers developmental information and support to all Ingham County families with children up to kindergarten entry. Great Parents, Great Start is supported by funding from the Michigan Department of Education, Office of Great Start, in collaboration with the Ingham Intermediate School District and community partners.
Certified Parent Educators
Certified Parent Educators use the Parents as Teachers model to provide services for families living in Ingham County:
- Home visits focused on age-appropriate learning activities, child development, and family support. The current focus is primarily 3-year olds;
- Developmental screenings for all children birth to kindergarten entry;
- Developmental learning activities, through Ingham Play & Learn Groups, for families with children birth to kindergarten entry;
- Connections to community resources, early childhood programs and services. Ingham Great Start links families to multiple services and activities in Ingham County.
- Child development information birth to kindergarten entry;
- Methods to enhance family-child interaction, including encouraging reading 30 minutes per day;
- Examples of learning opportunities promoting social, physical and intellectual growth;
- Access to community services;
- Promotion of healthy relationships.
Research-based, universal services, as well as more intensive services to a targeted population, are provided by staff trained in early child development and the Parents As Teachers model.
- Improve school readiness for all young children.
- Increase care giver involvement in early education.
- Foster the maintenance of stable families.
- Reduce enrollments in special education.
- Decrease retention of pupils in grade three.
Executive Director, Early Childhood Services
Director, Early Childhood Special Education 0-3