If you are unsure about the type of career you wish to pursue, the Career Start program may be just for you! This program will help you get ready for the career of your choice with certification opportunities as well as possible job shadows at area businesses.
Students with work experience, solid customer service skills and certifications are the preferred candidates when employers interview and hire. This program will get you ready for the career of your choice. You will add experience with paid and unpaid internships to your resume. You can earn certifications in such areas as Bloodborne Pathogens, CPR/AED/Basic First Aid, Sexual Harassment, OSHA, ServSafe and Keyboarding to name a few. The program will boost your confidence and work experience and help increase your career options during and after high school.
As part of this program, students manage our school store, Campus Corner. This opportunity teaches students the importance of cash management, inventory control and customer service. The school is open to the students and staff of the Wilson Talent Center.
Career Start teaches you how to communicate, work as a team and increase your basic skills to make you stand out to potential employers. Career opportunities are determined by you and can include the Hotel & Restaurant industry, Facilities Maintenance, Journalism, Graphic Arts, Food Service, Video Production and many more choices.
Our mission is to provide students with the essential knowledge, skills, and work habits to excel in their careers and future learning.
National Career Cluster
Michigan Career Pathway
Michigan Certified Teacher
Types of Credit
Fourth year math credit
Elective Credit: Recommended by WTC; awarded by sending school
The purpose of the Career Start Program is to provide students with the essential skills to be contributing and valued members of the workplace. Career Start is a program designed to expose students to different careers within their chosen career pathway. Career Start teaches essential skills of workplace behavior, retail services, business administration, technology, and maintenance. Students have an opportunity to practice skills learned through work based learning experiences throughout Ingham ISD.
Dress code is enforced according to safety and professional dress standards. Students are required to wear the Career Start shirts provided by the program, and shoes with rubber bottoms and closed toes. Bottoms must be jeans, khaki or dress pants/skirts without rips or tears.
- Exposure to career paths that support student interest and ability
- Employment Skills & Training (Including Mock Interviewing, Teaching Project and Job Shadows, e.g.)
- Safety/Blood Borne Pathogen Training
- Sexual Harassment Training
- State of Michigan Regulated Job Shadows
- CPR/AED (Automated External Defibrillator)/Basic First Aid
- Recycling/Environmental and Waste Management
- OSHA 10 Certification Course –Safety in the Workplace
- Phone and Email Protocols
- Community based instruction at the Campus Corner
- Team work and Problem solving
- Retail customer service skill training practiced in the WTC school store
- Communication in the workplace
- Math and Literacy (formal letter writing, Personal Mission Statement, Goal Setting) in the workplace
- Organizational skills
- Students will be certified in CPR/AED/Basic First Aid, Sexual Harassment, Blood Borne Pathogens, and OSHA Safety Certification
- Students will have work-based learning experience at the Campus Corner.
- Students will have specific skills related to the fields of retail, administrative assistance and maintenance/cleaning.
- Students will have completed job shadows in four WTC programs in their pathway of interest.
Work Based Learning Opportunities
Students will participate in retail and food service through the Campus Corner at the Wilson Talent Center. Students will have the opportunity to earn their ServSafe certification which will allow them to work with the Culinary Arts program. Students may also work with Michigan Rehabilitation Services to secure work based learning opportunity.
- Work Habits: Points based upon your attitude, effort, professionalism, motivation, accountability, and attendance.
- Academic: (Tests, quizzes, and Worksheet grades): Your instructor may choose to give you a grade for all classroom work you take for the program.
- Lab (Project Grades): You will be given a grade for every completed project. Projects may include supervisory training, a job shadow, or presentation.
A = 93-100%
A- = 90-92%
B+ = 87-89%
B = 83-86%
B- = 80-82%
C+ = 77-79%
C = 73-76%
C- = 70-72%
D+ = 67-69%
D = 63-66%
D- = 60-62%
E = 59 or below
Photos from the Career Start program . . .
Career Start Program Virtual Tour
Career Start Student Testimonials
"On My Way" Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)
Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 4.0 License
About Career Start
1-2 year program
Offered AM and PM
Skills Students Leave With:
Literacy Assessment & Instruction
Effective Problem Solving
Green Cleaning Basics
Successful Work Habits