Certified Parent Educators
Certified Parent Educators use the Parents as Teachers curriculum to partner with families to provide:
- Home visits for families that focus on age-appropriate learning activities, child development, and family support. The current focus is primarily families of 3-year olds;
- Developmental screenings for all children up through 5 years of age;
- Developmental learning activities, through Ingham Play & Learn groups, for families with children aged 4 and younger;
- Connection for families to other community resources and early childhood programs and services. The Ingham Great Start website links families to multiple services and activities in Ingham County.
Our services address:
- Child development information birth-5;
- Methods to enhance familly-child interaction, including encouraging reading 30 minutes per day;
- Examples of learning opportunities promoting social, physical, and intellectual growth;
- Access to needed community services;
- Promotion of healthy relationships.
Universal services, as well as more intensive services to a targeted population, are provided. Services are research-based; and staff is trained in early child development and the Parents As Teachers curriculum.
To Make a Referral
Call 517-244-1433 or complete a Great Parents Great Start Referral Form.
- Improve school readiness for all young children.
- Increase care giver involvement in early education.
- Foster the maintenance of stable families.
- Reduce enrollments in special education.
- Decrease retention of pupils in grade.