Deaf & Hard of Hearing
Students who are deaf or hard of hearing (DHH) may require support to access the general education curriculum.
Service delivery may include:
- Consultation with educational staff and families regarding classroom accommodations, modifications and hearing assistive technology
- Evaluation for eligibility in collaboration with local district staff within the Least Restrictive Environment (LRE)
- Facilitation and attendance at IEP meetings
- Instruction in auditory skills, language development and self-advocacy
- Development and implementation of specially designed instruction in order to facilitate access to the school environment/curriculum
- Provide academic support as hearing loss can adversely affect educational performance
- Training and support regarding use of hearing assistive technology (HAT)
MDE-LIO provides tools and services to support students who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing.
The Michigan Early Hearing Detection & Intervention (EHDI) Program's goals are to provide for better outcomes for Michigan newborns and young children with hearing loss and their families, through early hearing screening, appropriate audiological diagnosis, and intervention.