Great Parents, Great Start Program
Certified Parent Educators
Certified Parent Educators use the Parents as Teachers model to provide services for families living in Ingham County:
- Home visits focused on age-appropriate learning activities, child development, and family support. The current focus is primarily 3-year olds;
- Developmental screenings for all children birth to kindergarten entry;
- Developmental learning activities, through Ingham Play & Learn Groups, for families with children birth to kindergarten entry;
- Connections to community resources, early childhood programs and services. Ingham Great Start links families to multiple services and activities in Ingham County.
- Child development information birth to kindergarten entry;
- Methods to enhance family-child interaction, including encouraging reading 30 minutes per day;
- Examples of learning opportunities promoting social, physical and intellectual growth;
- Access to community services;
- Promotion of healthy relationships.
Research-based, universal services, as well as more intensive services to a targeted population, are provided by staff trained in early child development and the Parents As Teachers model.
- Improve school readiness for all young children.
- Increase care giver involvement in early education.
- Foster the maintenance of stable families.
- Reduce enrollments in special education.
- Decrease retention of pupils in grade three.