Grades 9 - 12 Math
How Can I Help My Child At Home?
Learning does not end in the classroom. Students who have supportive families who practice math at home do better in school. These students also feel that school is important.
ways to help your child with high school math
- Talk to your child daily about school and how she feels it is going.
- If your student misses a class, encourage him to get a copy of the notes from the teacher or a trusted peer.
- Use Khan Academy if your child missed some work in class or needs a refresher. There you will find videos to review skills taught in all high school math classes.
- Encourage your child to meet with her teacher before or after school if she is struggling with a particular topic. Many schools offer intervention support classes or other options to help students keep up with the rigorous high school curriculum.
- Sometimes outside tutors are necessary. The school’s guidance office often has lists of outside tutors.
Overall strategies for school success
- Meet your child's teacher as soon as the new school year starts.
- Ask the teacher about the process for regular communication between home and school.
- Read what comes home from school and keep in touch with your child's teacher, especially when you have concerns.
- Attend parent-teacher conferences.
- Establish a consistent routine to make sure your child gets homework done. Show an interest in your child's work.
- Always talk about school and the teacher in a positive way, even if you have concerns. It is important for children to see home and school as united.
- Establish regular routines for morning, after school, homework and bedtime.
- Make sure your child is getting enough sleep, so he can focus at school.
- Talk to your child daily about school and how she feels it is going. This shows the value of education.
- Monitor and limit your child's use of technology (TV, computer, internet, video-games, phone and social media).
- Encourage healthy eating and exercise habits.
- Celebrate your child's school success at home.