Medical Technology Careers

Frequently Asked Questions

Medical Technology Careers

 What is Medical Technology Careers about?

This class explores a variety of outpatient health care careers.  A few examples include:  Phlebotomy, Veterinary Assistant, Pharmacy Tech, Physical Therapy Aid, Dental Assistant and clerical worker in medical offices.  Students listen to guest speakers and visit college campuses.

Is Medical Technology Careers a one or two year program?

Most students attend for two years but some seniors choose to attend just their final year.

What do students do in year one?

Learn a core group of skills including medical terminology, CPR certification, assessing vital signs and laboratory procedures.

What do students do in year two?

Additional skills are learned (scheduling, medical abbreviations, lab procedures) to prepare students to go out on work experience.  Three to four days each week are spent at a medical facility practicing what was learned.  Students have worked at Mason Urgent Care, Tompkins Veterinary Clinic, Sparrow Radiology Department, West & Burkhardt Orthodontics, Sparrow’s Patient Financial Department.

What credit substitution is available?

Fourth year ½ math credit at the moment – check with the instructor for the latest opportunities.

What does a typical day look like in Medical Technology Careers?

Classroom lecture, cooperative learning projects, practice/apply skills, computer lab projects.

How is class work graded?

1/3 - Work Habits (attendance, safety, cooperation, effort, quality of work)
1/3 - Assignments
1/3 - Quizzes and Tests

Are there any certifications available?

Students can choose to learn Phlebotomy their second year, complete 100 blood draws at Sparrow Regional Labs and earn certification.  Certification can also be earned in Opticianry.

Are there any costs to students?

Second year students must have a watch with a second hand.  Some work sites require specific dress so students may have to purchase scrubs or a lab coat.

Do I need a driver’s license?

A license is required for work experience outside of class.  Transportation to and from a work site could be provided by a parent or guardian, also.