Arts Integration Defined
Arts leverage learning in other subject areas such as science, language arts, mathematics, and social studies. Kennedy Center uses a comprehensive definition of arts integration as its foundation. This definition helps educators understand what arts integration is and how it differs from teaching the arts or just using the arts in the classroom.
For examples of arts integrated curriculum visit:
"Arts Integration for Deeper Learning"
A 6 minute video produced by Edutopia features Bates Middle School, Annapolis, MD using Arts Integration as a whole school reform strategy.
Edutopia's Schools that Work
A catalogue of evidence-based practices for Arts Integration
Curriculum Map with Arts Connections - Partnership for 21st Century Learning
Common Core Arts Curriculum Mapping Project
Promotes the importance of all students studying the arts, highlighting places where ELA instruction will be enhanced by connecting a genre or particular text, or a theme of a unit, to works of art, music, or film.
Ingham ISD and the MSU-FCU Institute for Arts & Creativity provide professional learning opportunities and building level support for schools, identified as Arts Integration Focus Schools, because we believe arts integration has the capacity to ...
- Strengthen attainment of core content for all students
- Strengthen students' ability to think creatively and to innovate
- Increase student engagement in school and with subject matter and arts content
- Reach students through instructional techniques that rely on multiple learning modalities and capitalize on student interests and strengths
- Increase necessary learning and work habits that include perseverance and problem-solving